Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Days 1-10 - Unicycling

In the beginning:

Weight - 142.6

Stamina - Cannot even get on the unicycle yet

Clothes Fitting - Clothes seem to be a little snug still

Strength - weak, very weak!

Muscle Tension - sore neck & shoulders mostly.

Family Climate - maybe a 6

Emotional Well-Being - Sort of depressed

Conclusion: ??








Day 1 - Barely could hold on to the house while trying to get 2 feet on the pedals. Realized that pulling the pedal back automatically puts the wheel underneath you!

Day 2 - Same thing for about 30 minutes. Unicycle went flying most of the time. Really impossible to get that second foot up onto the pedal! Bought two 2x4's and went to urgent care to remove a bad splinter from my thumb that I got while trying to sand them. Gave up unicycling for about 6 months.

Day 3 - (6 months later) Got up while holding onto 2x4's on both sides. Unicycle still went flying most of the time. Wore gloves so I wouldn't get splinters. My legs got really sore after just one day of practicing! Gave up unicycling for a couple months of bad weather.

Day 4 - (another couple months later) Rode between the 2x4's back and forth over and over. Realized that in order to ever get out from between these, I'd have to learn to fall onto my feet and not let the unicycle go flying. Worked on that the whole time. Learned how to roll backwards a little to keep from falling backwards, and pedal forwards to keep from falling forwards.

Day 5 - Got out from between the 2x4's and learned that I get up better with my right foot on the pedal first. I can consistently get my second foot up onto the pedal while holding on, now. Riding any distance without holding on is still almost impossible. Legs around the knee and arms are very sore. Also my abs hurt.

Day 6 - Started realizing that at some point I have to learn to get up without holding onto anything, if I'm going to go around the block with Christopher. I got up twice and went about 4 feet! Still couldn't figure out how to stop falling to the left or to the right. At the end, I realized that turning the wheel hard while flailing my arms and using my thighs to turn the seat, I could turn the wheel and stop from falling to the left or to the right!

Day 7 - Learned that I couldn't go past 6 or 7 feet because that's the longest I could hold my breath. When I started trying to breathe I could go about 10 feet! I also learned that instead of holding onto the unicycle with my right hand, I could balance better and compensate if I held onto the seat with my left hand while my right foot was down and on the pedal. Today is the day I started telling myself to commit, and imagined myself out stranded on the sidewalk with nothing to hold onto. That always made me do better. Committing made me lean forward and try harder to keep my feet on the pedals and balance instead of falling off.

Day 8 - Practiced free-mounting all day long. Didn't get up more than 3 or 4 times. I learned to pull the seat to my left while mounting so the wheel didn't always veer to the right immediately when I got up. I got all the way to the carport! Muscles getting stronger and I feel much more confident balancing now!

Day 9 - Today I could free-mount eventually and ride all the way down the driveway. I fell pretty bad once at the bottom of the driveway and decided that going downhill was scary and needed pads. I also realized that going uphill is very difficult, not to mention climbing up tufts of grass and mud.

Day 10 - Changed my mind about pads until I start mountain-unicycling (muni-riding). I also free-mounted, and rode all the way down the driveway and turned left, and kept riding until I got tired right past Shelley and Andy's house (that's about 3 houses down)! I feel I have officially graduated from a training wheel!


At Day 10 (January 25, 2015):

Weight - 146.0 (ok so I gained 4 lbs... go figure)

Stamina - Cannot make it a block even though I can ride the unicycle after 10 days.

Clothes Fitting - Clothes seem to be a little snug still

Strength - muscles around my knees feel much stronger. My arms, too! From flailing.

Muscle Tension - Neck & shoulders still sore, add feet to that now too!

Family Climate - 7

Emotional Well-Being - Feeling good, like I have something to look forward to every day

Conclusion: ??

No comments:

Post a Comment