Thursday, April 2, 2015

Days 21-30 - Unicycling




Notes:
- I've been unicycling randomly from 2/4 - today, 3/25. So the third set of 10 days have been interspersed over a period of 50 days. First I took a week off, then tried to get better and healthy from being sick, and after 70 days of starting to ride unicycle, I have finally reached 30 actual days of riding.
- On the days in between, while sick and while the boys were sick, I would just go out and practice idling. I began bringing Unicycle to gymnastics and practicing idling in the gym a little while Christopher did gymnastics. I didn't start attempting distances around the neighborhood again until 3/16 when we rode to Dairy Queen for Christopher's surprise treat for earning magnets. That was 1 mile. Then I rode the mile back with just Nico while Gray took Christopher back in his car. I haven't attempted unicycling while pushing the double jogging stroller, yet.



At Day 30 (March 24, 2015):

Weight - 132.6 (most of this has to do with changing my diet, since most of the weight dropped off while I wasn't unicycling)

Stamina - I can ride 6 miles, while holding onto the stroller (with some breaks). Basically, 6 miles in 2 hours. haha. But I can do it! At 2 mph! But I cannot idle to 100, yet. I need to be able to do that. I can do 30 with my right foot, and 10 with my left foot.

Clothes Fitting - I can fit in my leather pants I have never worn, and they are already a little too baggy! I finally went and got all my clothes back out from before pregnancies.

Strength - My legs don't burn while just going down the block anymore, since doing two long-distance rides. They burn while going downhill for prolonged periods of time, but not so much that I have to stop. I think my arms have stopped getting stronger, except for when I hold onto the stroller. My left arm has got to have taken some beating. And holding onto the seat while hopping is going to get my hand grip stronger.

Muscle Tension - I just feel sore muscles in my thighs now. My neck is much better.

Family Climate - 8. Gray has shown me so much support, and acts so proud of me! It shows when he brags about me on FB. It's hard to compete with his Wolfpack and Duke posts! I don't know if we'll be able to fit Unicycle in the car for our beach weekend, but I know Gray will bust his butt for me trying. Staying active and figuring out how to get both boys outside with me on the unicycle is so refreshing for us all. Nico especially loves it, and Christopher has made it 1.2 miles now on his balance bike! We get so many comments. I never know what exactly they're commenting on, Christopher on his bike, my pirate patch, or the unicycle. I guess not Nico in the stroller. But when it's just me and Nico out, I've started responding. When they say, "That's real talent, I'm impressed!" I point at Nico and say, "I know! He's getting good, isn't he!"

Emotional Well-Being - I just like that I can do something else besides take a walk. When I was pregnant it was so depressing to think getting exercise meant either going and taking a boring walk or doing floor exercises. Riding my bicycle takes a little more effort because I have to get the trailer ready, and Nico in the iBert seat. Even though this is almost as slow as walking, I wouldn't trade it! If I ever get muni-cycling (mountain-unicycling), I doubt I'd want to go back to regular mountain-biking much, just because of what a challenge this is. I just don't think this will ever get boring. I know it is slow. I don't care. If I want to go fast I'll ride a motorcycle.

Conclusion: Will I keep this up? Absolutely! And YOU should, too! I have been transformed and am officially a unicycler. I won't do it every single day now, because I want to focus on my next blogs, but I will practice enough to continue building my strength and stamina until I can hop over obstacles and do u-turns and play flag football.


No comments:

Post a Comment